Well now, I’ve never read so many reviews all at once. Or ever really. I tend not to trust reviewers, not so much in that I doubt their opinions, as that my preferences are both odd and chaotic, so it’s rare that they’d like what I do. All the same, sometimes a review can give you a much-needed preview of a place, or just be fun and interesting to read. Sam Sifton does this quite well, in all of his pieces.
Even when doing just a normal review, he uses a simple and clear style, that manages at once to not be cluttered while also giving us just enough detail that it feels like we’re actually there. He’s able to paint a clear picture of the atmosphere and what to expect of a place, and often manages to be funny while doing it. A mark of a good reviewer seems to be more then just managing to accurately review a restaurant but also managing to entertain while doing it.
I greatly respect Sam Sifton’s honesty as well when he answered questions. He seemed to speak quite truly and gave good insights in his answers. I found it interesting that not only could he give advice on where to eat and what to get, but also was willing to speak some on matter of health and exercise as well.
Sam Sifton has brought up a point that I like a lot. He follows a pattern of eating food and then exercising vigorously, only to eat again. This is surprisingly more or less what I do. Like Sam I do try and eat fairly healthy foods, but eating in the café it just isn’t possible all that often. So I exercise often, and go for long, winding mile walks daily. I think there is something to be said for this pattern to, because while it would be best to eat well and exercise, I think people tend to underestimate just how beneficial exercise can be.
One thing I would have liked to see more of though, among these selections, would have been a few negative reviews. This is mostly for empirical reasons, as I want to see if there’s a certain way people write a review about a restaurant they don’t like. I’m caught wondering what I’d do really, if the place I chose to go to ends up a flop. Maybe we’ll go over this in class though, so here’s hopping so!
Reading all these reviews though, has now made me a little nervous about eventually writing mine. I don’t often write in that sort of style, like Sam Sifton does. And while I know I can write it any way I want and it will probably turn out fairly well, I still am a little nervous now, about how I’ll pull it all together.
These articles made me nervous about how I'm going to make my review work too...! There's so much involved, so much to pull together just in one experience...Sifton is able to write with such ease and humor, I hope I'll be able to write something as entertaining!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, I loved his genuine honesty throughout these articles, especially at the Q & A sections. I really felt like I could trust this guy, even though I too usually have a hard time completely trusting the authority of restaurant reviews.