Tuesday, January 25, 2011

memory of a meal


         The first memory that springs to mind is actually one of the day before the meal itself. It’s of opening the off-white fridge door, and spotting a large, ceramic bowl that is brown on the outside and white on the inside. The top is covered with a clouded plastic wrap to keep the contents safe, but I already know what lies within, and what it signifies. Pie. My father’s pie starts the day before, as the dough is made, balled up, and refrigerated. Slumbering within that covered bowl is a large sphere of pie dough, a wondrous promise of tastiness to come.
            The day rolls around, and the menu is already decided upon. Not for any occasion other than the desire to make something different and nice for this weekend, the meal will be warm beef stew, bread machine bread, and apple/pear pie the fate of the dough glimpsed yesterday. Things kick off with the bread, ingredients mixed, stirred together by my father. The process is easy enough, but in the simpleness of it, the sheer act of creation, joy is found. Bread dough now is kneaded and pressed into the bread machine, to be stirred, mixed, and cooked.
            Now comes the first real involvement for me, standing in front of the kitchen sink, a small soft green plastic and metal peeler in one hand, apples, carrots, and potatoes in the other. My small, but vital job, is easy enough. Never have I nicked myself with the peeler, so I stand there, peeling away the skins of apples, and the rough, bumpy coats of potatoes. There’s a calming sense to it. This is not writing an essay, doing math homework, studying complex biology. This is simple bliss. There’s no pressure, things are moving along steadily, and the slow, calming rhythm of shearing off the outer coats of these fruits and veggies becomes almost calmingly hypnotic.
            Soon though it comes to an end, each white, naked piece of food passed along to be chopped up into shards, chunks, or in the case of the carrots, coins. Apples and pears, sliced just so, are combined with a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, and corn starch, binding them together. A lovely, handmade crust settles on top, and one’s mouth can’t help but water at the sheer beauty of it. It is slid with great care into the oven and the focus moves elsewhere.
            Now the only thing to be finished is the stew itself, which is made by my mother. The meat is first, slashed and sliced deftly into manageable pieces, and placed in the pot to brown and sizzle along with spices: basil, bay leaf, sage, and margoram.  Then chunks of potato, coins of carrots, a tumbling golden cascade of corn, one after another, each ingredient tumbles into the vat-like pot on the stovetop. Finally, cans of crushed tomato and tomato puree are added and the lid comes down. Things are left to cook for hours, peacefully bubbling away..
            It is funny almost; the waiting game is always easiest at the start. We’ve finished all this, I’ve had lunch, and I settle in to read or game. But after a few hours, the scents begin. As festive, and as inviting as any parade, these scents march through every corner of the house. Cooking meat, the warm, almost fluffy scent of bread, and a deeper, sweeter, indescribable scent of pastry and sweet fruit; homemade pie. There is no escaping these scents, and the desire they incite.
            Despite the wait, the end result is always worth it. The stew over the course of the day becomes a thick, luscious broth of meat, tomatoes and veggies that practically melt away in your mouth. The bread, pulled from the bread machine, radiates warmth and the promise of both a fluffy center and a crisp, crunchy crust. Lastly, the pie is pulled free, shimmering with heat, almost too beautiful to eat.
            Places are set, and things cleared away, clean, swept and put in place. Drinks are poured and napkins placed at each spot, as my mother lights the candles one by one. Once again, the simplicity of the day shines through. Nothing has to be stressed or rushed, just a peaceful calmness so rarely present in our hectic lives. Everyone sits down before this lush panorama of food; it is time for the meal.
            Now the meal itself begins, and we all dig in with great eagerness. The meat has been cooked to perfection, in a melody of flavors, from potato to tomato. Homemade bread, is either dipped in stew, or enjoyed on its own, and either way is incredibly satisfying. In this world of fast food, easy fat fried or grilled to death, there is something lost. The simplicity and satisfaction that only making your own dinner can provide seems to surpass all.
            Stuffed as well as any turkey, we sit back and rest for a long moment, letting things settle, and chatting happily. Then someone rises, the pie is fetched, along with fresh, cold vanilla ice cream. To each still-steaming, warm slice of pie, a large scoop or two of cool ice cream is added. The sweet, warm taste of pear and apples flows well with the smooth, lovely flavor of vanilla ice cream. The whole sweet concoction is intoxicating, both warm and cold at the same time, each bite is savored till it’s all finally finished.
            This meal comes to mind easily, yet is only really representative of something very important to me in my life. My family rarely ate out; we preferred to almost always make our own meals. This not only helped draw us together as a family, it was also a rich, and fulfilling experience everyday, and provided a quality of tastes and satisfaction that fast food can never match.  These meals were about being together, as a family, and about enjoying good, well-made food, both things to be cherished.

13 comments:

  1. Great job! Reading this memoir made me sooo soo hungry. It's really a simple story--but beautiful and full of great descriptions.

    I was confused by the first sentence, when you said "The first memory that springs to mind is actually one of the day before the meal itself." The first memory ever? The first memory of a meal? It's unclear what you mean.

    We get a subtle hint at how old the narrator is when you list the biology and math homework--but I think you could make it a little more apparent.

    I suggest you end with the second to last paragraph--it's a strong, happy image of food and family. I don't think you need to explain your theme in the last paragraph. It seems to take away from your beautifully crafted piece (plus the things you say are implied). You could maybe mention that your family rarely ate out in the paragraph where you talk about "this world of fast food" (3rd to last paragraph).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great first draft! It's a really coherent memoir of a meaningful meal. I can really see the scene and almost even smell the delicious scents wafting through the room. I think the larger themes are a good thing to incorporate but maybe try to show and tell a little more than tell. Your off to an awesome start though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Julia about your ending, I think. It was tied off a little too neatly for me... ending with a strong description (which this piece has a lot of-) is probably your best bet! ...but these endings are still hard for me to pin down.

    I would be really interested to know how you came to chose the present tense. I think it might have been more effective in places for you to experiment with using different tenses. There were moments that seemed too fleeting, or not as concrete as they were meant to be (even with so much description!) -but I thought that might be attributed to tense a little?

    Aside from that, I really enjoyed the way that you describe the pieces of the process: you've done something neat--kind of reads like a recipe.

    Thanks, Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Jake. You start out with a great description of the pie and you really drive in this theme of simplicity that is consistent throughout your memoir. Your descriptions of preparing the pie were so soothing! They had a calming effect, with definitely mirrors how you were feeling while making it. It ties really well into your overall theme (I think) of slow food. I love the movement of your piece, the movement of the food you write about. It makes me feel like I'm there alongside you.

    I'm conflicted about your ending. On the one hand, I agree that it might be tied a little too neatly like Kelsey says. I don't think I need to be told what your overall message is because it speaks for itself, and you definitely drop hints at it in several places (I'm thinking of your theme of simplicity, family, slow food). But I like what you say--maybe it's just the place you put it in that needs tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jake,
    I really enjoyed reading your rough draft. I think the piece flows really well and has a lot of potential. However, I have to say that in the beginning I thought your piece was going to be entirely about pie. It kind of caught me off guard that pie was just an element of your entire story, not the main focus. Is there any way you can be more clear that you're describing an entire meal from the beginning?
    I really loved your description of peeling food. I think you gave it a unique spin, and the imagery made it come alive. I thought it was really cool how you were talking about taking the skin off the fruit and veggies, then you switched gears to talk about never nicking your finger. That planted an interesting image in my mind: taking off the skin of one thing, but not of another. I also thought that it was an interesting choice to divide your memoir up into short concise paragraphs. Although I think it works well, you could also combine some of them to make them longer and flow a little more naturally.
    All in all great, job! I can't wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great description. I love how you take us through all the different stages of creating and eating the meal with all the accompanying imagery and sensory detail.
    Maybe don't sum up the theme of the piece in the last paragraph. Use smaller hints and references to your "point" or the significance of the meal throughout the story.
    Some of the sentence could read more crisply or clearly. Also look it over again for some small grammar and spelling stuff. Also I agree wit Julia about the first sentence being a little confusing.
    Overall a great draft with some great vivid imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so fun to read, I really liked it a lot! Your theme of simplicity combined with the descriptions of the peacefulness you felt while making and eating the meal creates a great calming effect in the reader. It was so soothing, though I agree with Julia, it made me really hungry!
    Each dish, even the individual ingredients are treated as something to celebrate; I liked how you did that. Every small thing mattered.
    I agree with what Julia said about the ending too. I don't think you need that last paragraph. The ideas you expressed there are already seen throughout the piece, you don't need to explain it to us again. It took me out of the story a little bit right there at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sory unfolds at a very adequate pace. The beginning catches your attention from the get-go because of how it delivers the information, and even though there isn't much tension to be had in this particular story, that's definetly not a bad thing.

    There's something about the first sentence that still isn´t very clear to me: is it your intention to make the reader expect this story to be a usual "special ocation"? I got that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd agree that your first sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and I wonder if you could make your entire introductory paragraph a little more interesting. Something to engage the reader. Your imagery is lovely and the story is well-told, but I wonder if you could add a deeper element to make your piece a little more interesting. Your point later on about spending all of your meals cooking together is lovely but could you introduce that earlier?
    Overall, great first draft.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jake -- this is a very vividly descriptive draft, my mouth was watering all the way through it! I loved your description of the pie and ice cream especially. I think that maybe a bit more character development could be worked into this, of both you and perhaps your father, or your family as a whole.
    I think you start off well with seeing the pie dough in the fridge, and your anticipation; but that wording is a bit confusing, I also thought that the piece was going to be about the pie alone. Maybe work the entire meal somehow into the first paragraph?
    Overall, really wonderful start! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jake, this piece read so easily and without confusion. Your writing is both simplistic and descriptive, and it is easy to tell how much you value cooking a meal from scratch at home with your family. For that reason, I agree with the other readers who noted that your last paragraph tells us what you've already shown in your piece.

    Being on the outside of your story, reading myself in, I find myself wondering whether this drawn out, leisurely preparation of food is a regular occurrence in your house, or perhaps whether it is a bit rare. We don't get to know your family very well, but I'm not sure this piece calls for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jake,

    I loved your paragraph about the scent of the food cooking and the anticipation and anxiety it creates. I too have had this experience many times. Whenever my parents would do a crock pot meal while I was in high school, I’d come home to the wonderful aroma knowing I’d have to wait hours before I could dig in to whatever was cooking. I also liked your description of the cooking process. I liked that your family worked together and everyone had their own part in the process.

    I would work on your intro. I was under the impression that you would be talking only about the pie your father was preparing. Maybe introduce some other aspects of the meal to help us understand better where you will be taking us. Also, if you are going to compare your home cooked meals to fast food more than once you may consider adding something earlier. We don’t really see the meaning of the piece until the last paragraph, although it is gently implied in the cooking process.

    Great start Jake!

    ReplyDelete