http://www.kitchenf-ups.com/?p=25
http://www.kitchenf-ups.com/?p=27
http://www.kitchenf-ups.com/?cat=6
alright, first i must apologize for how late i'm posting this, i'm not used to mac's and i only just yesterday finally got a new laptop to replace the one that broke down on me. That aside, here's my article(or in this case articles) of choice for us to think about. I encourage everyone to take a look at the website for further funny cooking mistakes and common errors.
The focus of what i want to talk about though, is not just funny or embarrassing mistakes we've made during cooking, but instead how we learn from such mistakes. The three above are just good examples in my opinion. In cooking, and in writing as well, we all make mistakes, it's very much a part of the learning process. But how? For me, it's often been that after making a mistake, it sticks in my head, and i remember it(and often can't forget it), and therefore don't make it again. But, because everyone learns a little differently, i'm interested both in what mistakes, either in cooking or writing, you've made in the past, and how they helped you grow as a writer or chef. So if you want, come up with an example or two you feel comfortable with sharing with the class, and we'll talk over the various ways mistakes have helped us get better at something.
Jake,
ReplyDeleteThis is a great topic!! I can definitely think of a few big mistakes I've made in my day both in cooking and writing. Somehow I feel as those the mistake-making process is far from over! I'll be interested to hear what everyone has to say about this tomorrow.
I love this topic too! I just wish I could think of a good story to tell. As an artist, I constantly have to not only make-do with my mistakes, but turn them into something creative and unexpected. In fact, my inspiration for major projects often derives from random mishaps.For instance,years ago my friend broke one of my mugs on accident. I salvaged the jagged remains and not only drew several compositions for my AP art class, I concentrated on "making beauty out of broken things" for my second semester of the class.
ReplyDeleteHow many times has a mistake resulted in ingenious discoveries? Or sometimes goofing up a cookie recipe or exploding cakes just makes for a hilarious and memorable story!