Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bourdain trip comes to a close


            Well, here we are, at the end of our time with Bourdain. I almost feel like I’ve been on a long trip, having traveled the world and tasted a large variety of what it has to offer. It’s almost sad, here to come to the end of his book. Because it was so gripping, and written in such a smooth, continual way, it’s hard to come to the end all of a sudden.
            Right from the start of the second half of the book, you’re thrust into a violent, almost terrifying description of the worst reckless driving ever. From this immersive start, it’s hard not to get pulled into the story itself, and almost forget the presence of cameras or others.
            Bourdain brings up a sentiment at the end of the book that I absolutely love. He says, “The whole concept of a perfect meal is ludicrous.” I agree fully with this, in that perfection isn’t something to ever really be achieved. Though Bourdain may have started out looking for the perfect meal, it seems to me he came to realize in hindsight, any meal could be thought of as perfect, due to the situation, or the moment. He did however learn one important lesson it seems, one that I’m very glad he brings up one last time, That nothing should go to waste. I put a lot of emphasis in my last post about Bourdain’s book about how I feel about this lesson, so I won’t say more here then I think it’s something American’s desperately need to get a better understanding of.
            The last thing I’d like to focus on is his trip to Tokyo. This held special meaning to me, as I’ve been twice to Japan, and while never having been to Tokyo, he brings up vivid memories from when I went. I was only 4 and then 6 for the second trip, so I don’t remember a lot, but I do remember the food. I refused sushi till that second trip. But his experience there, getting drunk with a bunch of businessmen really did remind me of what it was like. Despite the hustle and bustle, there’s some genuine friendliness in the fact that you probably could just sit down and end up drinking happily with strangers. There is a respect, and a kindness in the Japanese that can be simply amazing.
            And then there’s the food. For Bourdain it was mostly paradise (except for that one foul breakfast), as he explored the wonderful world of fish and other Japanese cuisine. For me, it was much more of a hit and miss affair, I’d love sushi, loath a type of soup, enjoy some form of rice patty, then throw a fit over powerful wasabi flavored something or other. I suppose though, when you’re six, it’s hard to really get into and appreciate the foreignness of it all. I’d love to go back again sometime, and take a better approach to trying the food, maybe an approach more like Bourdain’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment